Microbiology Lab Manager
Boost Biomes is using the powerful social networks among microbes to provide novel, sustainable solutions to feed and heal people everywhere. Boost’s core technology is a proprietary discovery platform that uses high throughput sequencing, selective enrichment and advanced bioinformatics to identify microbial products with important commercial roles. Boost is uniquely positioned at the leading edge of a quickly expanding field looking to tap into the value offered by understanding and engineering microbiomes. Our technology differentiator is the development of a causal understanding of microbial interactions powerful enough to allow the rational construction of designer functional consortia.
Our first products seek to reduce the enormous waste in agricultural products due to crop loss to fungal pests in the field and post-harvest. There is significant need for new biological, organic, safe biopesticides for crops; current chemical products have many challenges, such as regulatory burden for growers and safety concerns of consumers. The company operates in South San Francisco, the heart of west coast biotech. Boost has a deeply experienced founding team, and licensed IP protecting the platform.
Boost is looking for an outstanding candidate able to bring their combined experience and skills to support a highly functional molecular microbiology lab. In the context of a small Series A company you will be a key member of the RnD team where agility and a comfort with learning on the job are paramount. This role is perfect for someone early in a career in lab or facilities management wanting to rapidly gain experience in a dynamic environment, whilst also making a significant contribution towards sustainable food production for a growing population.
You are at home in the laboratory and have a keen appreciation for the unseen aspects that make for a highly efficient lab. With this you have a drive to learn and develop within a team at a growing company. You have a total commitment to accountability both in the moment and anticipatory. You combine an attention to detail to identify issues and an agility and creativity to find fixes. The integrity and the safety of you and your teammates is a core value and will guide your management practices. This role empowers the whole R&D team to be more effective and will enable the lab to scale as the company grows.
Manages all operational aspects within the laboratory including but not limited to:
· Lab supplies
o Vendor management.
o Lab procurement and inventory of chemicals, commonly used reagents, PPE and other general laboratory supplies.
· Environmental Health & Safety
o Hazardous waste management.
o Perform or manage monthly safety checks on eye wash, showers.
o Ensure that staff are onboarded with compliance, safety and other required training before initiating lab work.
o Enforce safety procedures and drive continuous improvements in lab workplace safety, including internal audit.
o Responsible for permitting and licenses for all Boost lab operations.
· Lab oversight
o Accountable for lab infrastructure through The Building Management.
o Plumbing, electrical, & air systems.
o Preventative maintenance.
o Coordination of equipment purchases and install.
· Media and glassware needs of RnD team.
· May assist in the execution of experiments by conducting established protocols related microbiology and molecular biology techniques and assays.
· A passion for Science.
· A Bachelor’s degree in a Life Science.
· At least two year’s experience in a lab manager or lab technician role in a microbiology or molecular biology lab.
· At least two years bench-scientist experience in a microbiology or molecular biology lab.
· Fully knowledgeable on the compliance requirements for all aspects of a biotechnology laboratory in the Bay Area.
· A deep understanding of lab processes and equipment.
· Exceptional organizational and record keeping skills.
· Experience ordering, managing, and stocking supplies, including interfacing with vendors.
· The agility and growth mindset required to thrive in a startup environment.
· Desire to work with R&D teammates to understand their processes and requirements
· Ability to maintain an organized lab that enables an optimized workflow.
· Willingness to respond to off-hours emergencies.
· LIMS experience preferred.
· Industry experience preferred.
How to Apply
Email [firstname.lastname@example.org](email@example.com "firstname.lastname@example.org") your resume and a short cover letter that includes why you’d like to obtain this position.Email Us