Research Associate – Discovery
Boost is looking for an outstanding candidate able to apply their microbiology skills to the discovery of novel microbes for applications as Agricultural Biologicals. You will have the chance to work on screening and enrichment methods to address Boosts’ expanding need for microbes with diverse functions, including the development and implementation of novel screening assays. You will work with multiple stakeholders with competing needs in order to prioritize screening effort. You will handle logistical aspects of process management; including sample inventory tracking and storage and ensure accurate record keeping. Collectively this will enable Boost to fully realize the potential of its Interactome Discovery Platform and turn it from concept to product pipeline with efficient, high throughput analysis enabling clear decision-making.
Boost Biomes is using the powerful social networks among microbes to provide novel, sustainable solutions to feed and heal people everywhere. Harnessing the power of microbiomes will be imperative to a sustainable future. Boost’s core technology is a proprietary discovery platform that uses high throughput sequencing, selective enrichment and advanced informatics to identify microbial products with important commercial roles. Boost is uniquely positioned at the leading edge of a quickly expanding field looking to tap into the value offered by understanding and engineering microbiomes. Our technology differentiator is the development of a causal understanding of microbial interactions powerful enough to allow the rational construction of designer functional consortia.
Our first products seek to reduce the enormous waste in agricultural products due to crop loss to fungal pests in the field and post-harvest. There is significant need for new biological, organic, safe biopesticides for crops; current chemical products have many challenges, such as regulatory burden for growers and safety concerns of consumers. Boost has a deeply experienced founding team, and licensed IP protecting the platform.
You are someone who can demonstrate knowledge of specialized scientific techniques relative to your area of expertise and can coordinate research activities with peers and supervisors. Specifically you have a good understanding of microbial culturing, isolation and screening for specific phenotypes. You are motivated to increase efficiency, precision and throughput.
You are excited by the opportunity to develop SOPs and integrate methods into a research workflow as part of a small team. You are looking for a career in applying microbiology for sustainable agriculture.
You are someone who can communicate effectively through listening, documentation, and presentation and has a broad understanding of instrumentation and scientific principles. You have experience of providing oral and written reports to demonstrate quality, throughput and progress. Meticulous observation and recording is second nature.
You are excited by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced start-up environment with many moving parts. Agility is one of your key attributes and you are able to react in real time.
● Bsc in Microbiology, Biology, Biochemistry, Microbial Genomics, Microbial Ecology or related field.
● At least one year experience in the culturing and phenotypic assaying of diverse microbes.
● Knowledge of standard lab procedures and equipment that is common in a microbiology and molecular laboratory environment.
● Experience in evaluating microbes for biocontrol and plant-growth-promoting phenotypes is an advantage.
● Experience with screening or processing samples via high-throughput methods.
● Involvement in innovative assay design and implementation.
● Comfortable independently troubleshooting using product and academic literature.
● Excellent verbal and written communication ability and meticulous record keeping skills
● Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a complex and agile environment, drive results within set timeframes, and contribute towards the progress of the team
● Commitment to self-development and to learning new tools, techniques and skills
● Experience working in an industry setting preferable.
How to Apply
Email [email@example.com](firstname.lastname@example.org "email@example.com") your resume and a short cover letter that includes why you’d like to obtain this position.Email Us