Scientist I – Bioassay Lead
Boost Biomes is using the powerful social networks among microbes to provide novel, sustainable solutions to feed and heal people everywhere. Harnessing the power of microbiomes will be imperative to a sustainable future. Boost’s core technology is a proprietary discovery platform that uses high throughput sequencing, selective enrichment and advanced informatics to identify microbial products with important commercial roles. Boost is uniquely positioned at the leading edge of a quickly expanding field looking to tap into the value offered by understanding and engineering microbiomes. Our technology differentiator is the development of a causal understanding of microbial interactions powerful enough to allow the rational construction of designer functional consortia.
Our first products seek to reduce the enormous waste in agricultural products due to crop loss to fungal pests in the field and post-harvest. There is significant need for new biological, organic, safe biopesticides for crops; current chemical products have many challenges, such as regulatory burden for growers and safety concerns of consumers. Boost has a deeply experienced founding team, and licensed IP protecting the platform.
Boost is looking for an outstanding candidate able to bring their experience in the phenotypic screening of microbes within the context of their application as Agricultural Biologicals. You will have the chance to design new screening and enrichment methods to address Boosts’ expanding need for microbes with diverse activities and implement them with your teammates. You will lead product development workflows designed to understand the mode of action of our candidates and increase efficacy.
You will work with multiple stakeholders with competing needs in order to prioritize screening effort. You will handle logistical aspects of process management; including sample inventory tracking and storage and ensure accurate record keeping. You will be responsible for the maintenance of Boost’s microbial archive. You will be seen as the company expert in bioassay selection and development.
Collectively this will enable Boost to fully realize the potential of its Interactome Discovery Platform and turn it from concept to product pipeline with efficient, high throughput analysis enabling clear decision-making.
Boost seeks a person who can demonstrate knowledge of specialized scientific techniques relative to your area of expertise and can coordinate research activities with peers and supervisors. Specifically, you have a deep understanding of screening methods to understand modes of action of microbes pertaining to biocontrol and plant growth promotion. You can differentiate between primary and secondary screens to triage for the mode of action needed. You are excited by the opportunity to invent novel assays from concept to SOP and integrate methods into a research workflow as part of a small team. You enjoy mentoring and training junior staff. You are ready to take on a leadership role. You are motivated to increase efficiency, precision and throughput.
You are someone who can communicate effectively through listening, documentation, and presentation and has a broad understanding of instrumentation and scientific principles. You are comfortable and have experience providing oral and written reports to demonstrate quality, throughput and progress. Meticulous observation and recording are second nature.
You are excited by the opportunity to work in a fast-paced start-up environment with many moving parts. Agility is one of your key attributes and you can react and trouble-shoot in real time. You see uncertainty is an opportunity, not a challenge.. You are passionate about applying technology to sustainable agriculture.
At least two years experience in the discovery of microbes to be applied in Agriculture.
● Knowledgeable in the screening of microbes for biocontrol or plant-growth-promoting phenotypes.
● Proven ability to elucidate novel microbial cell functions or microbial interactions within a complex community.
● Skilled in cultivating a variety of microbes such as bacteria, fungi, and complex microbial communities.
● Experience with multiple enrichment methods for specific strains and/or phenotypes.
● Experience with leading innovative assay design and implementation and scale-up projects.
● Capable of independently conducting research projects including design, execution, and data analysis.
● Able to prioritize and execute tasks in a complex and agile environment, and drive results within set timeframes.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills with the ability to communicate scientific outcomes to enable stakeholders to make appropriate decisions.
● Commitment to self-development and to learning new tools, techniques, and skills.
● PhD in Microbiology, Biochemistry, Microbial Genomics, Microbial Ecology or related field. Alternatively a MSc in these fields with at least six years experience in screening microbial products.
● Experience working in the agricultural technology industry is a plus.
● Knowledge of formulation techniques to stabilize microbes is a plus.
How to Apply
Email [email@example.com](firstname.lastname@example.org "email@example.com") your resume and a short cover letter that includes why you’d like to obtain this position.Email Us